This article is going to be all about variety. I’ll be comparing the Elite Platinum brand of pressure cookers and the Instant Pot brand. First, I’ll be going over the many offerings of both brands, and then I’ll go over pros and cons, and some key factors that might influence your preference for one of these pressure cookers.
What does Elite Platinum Offer?
Elite platinum produces pressure cookers in a wide variety of sizes and colors:
- 4-quart non-stick inner pot.
- Comes in black or red.
- 9 preset functions: keep warm; slow cook; soup & stew; beans & grains; brown/saute; desserts; steam; meat & chicken; and rice
- 6-quart non-stick inner pot, with stainless-steel option in the black color.
- Comes in black and brick red.
- 11 preset functions: Vegetables/Fish, Soup/Stew, Steam, Potatoes, Beef/Meat, Slow Cook, White Rice, Chicken, Keep Warm, Brown/Saute, Beans/Chili.
- Up to 99 minutes of cooking time.
8-quart non-stick inner pot, with a stainless-steel option in the black color.
- Comes in black, red, orange, purple, blue, turquoise, and white.
- 19 preset functions: Reheat, Brown Rice, White Rice, Wild Rice & Grains, Vegetables & Fish, Desserts, Potatoes, Pork & Ribs, Chicken, Beans, Stew, Beef, Soup, and Browning/Keep Warm.
- Up to 99 minutes of cooking time.
- 8-quart non-stick inner pot.
- Comes in black, blue, cinnamon, and fuchsia.
- 9 preset functions: Rice, Soup/Stew, Meat & Chicken, Slow Cook, Beans, Fish/Vegetables, Desserts and Browning/Keep Warm.
- Up to 60 minutes of cooking time.
- 10-quart non-stick inner pot.
- Comes in black or turquoise.
- 8 preset functions: rice, potatoes & yams, meat & chicken, pork, fish & vegetables, beans & grains, soup & stews and desserts.
- Up to 90 minutes of pressure cooking time.
Elite Platinum offers some features that are common amongst all their pressure cookers. They have a 24-hour delay timer, with the EPC-808 having a 29-hour delay timer. They all also have an automatic keep warm function, that will keep meals ready to eat for up to 12 hours.
Each pot has 8 different built in safety features. If any of the eight features isn’t working properly, the pot will either not pressurize, or it will release pressure if a malfunction occurs during cooking.
One unique feature of the Elite Platinum brand is the automatic restart function. If there is a temporary power loss, when power is restored the pressure cooker will automatically resume cooking. This will prevent the disappointment of coming home to an uncooked meal.
What does Instant Pot Offer?
IP-DUO50 – 5 quart
IP-DUO60 – 6 quart
IP-Smart Bluetooth – 6 quart
IP-DUO80 – 8 quart
Common features among DUO and Smart models:
- Stainless steel inner pot
- 14 Preset functions: Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Keep-Warm, Yogurt, Pasteurize and Fermented Rice.
- High and low pressure cooking settings.
- Dual pressure sensors.
- Smart model has Bluetooth connectivity for programming pot from your mobile device.
IP-LUX50 – 5 quart
IP-LUX60 – 6 quart
Common features among LUX models:
- Stainless steel inner pot.
- High pressure cooking only.
- 10 preset functions: meat/stew, sauté, poultry, soup, bean/chili, congee, steam, multigrain, rice and slow cook.
- Single pressure sensor.
Instant Pot pressure cookers also have some features that are common amongst all models. They all have a 24-hour delay timer and automatic keep warm function. They also have 10 built-in safety functions to guard against pressure related malfunctions.
A unique feature of Instant Pot pressure cookers is the microprocessor. It monitors the food during the cooking process and adjusts the time, temperature and pressure based on the amount of food in the pot. This feature is meant to make cooking a certain food consistent each time it is prepared.
Pros and Cons of the Elite Platinum pressure cookers.
- Elite Platinum pressure cookers come in a wide range of colors.
- Elite Platinum offers a large 10-quart capacity pressure cooker.
- The EPC-808 has 19 preset functions, more than any of the Instant Pots.
- All Elite Platinum pressure cookers have the automatic restart function after power loss.
- Cooker will not pressurize if any of the safety features are not working properly.
- Inner pots have volume markers on them to make measuring for recipes easy.
- All the colors don’t have the option of a stainless steel inner pot.
- The non-stick coating on the inner pots wears easily and will eventually stick to food.
- Pressure selection is automatic so you can’t manually choose low pressure.
- The labeling can be worn off easily making reading the many presets difficult.
- The stainless-steel Elite Platinum pots don’t have the browning option.
Pros and Cons of the Instant Pot pressure cookers.
- All pressure cookers come with stainless steel cooking pots.
- Has 10 safety features, 2 more than the Elite Platinum brand.
- IP-DUO and Smart have dual pressure sensors for more precision in cooking.
- IP-DUO and Smart can make yogurt, unlike IP-LUX or Elite Platinum.
- Have the option of Bluetooth connectivity with the IP-Smart.
- Learning to program the Instant Pots can be difficult at first.
- Bluetooth connectivity with the IP-Smart may be sporadic.
Which Pressure Cooker is Right for You?
If a lower price is the most crucial factor for you, the Elite Platinum brand will be the best choice. Although comparable models between the two brands are close in price, Elite Platinum will cost slightly less than an Instant Pot of the same size.
Not only are the Elite Platinum pressure cookers in general less expensive the EPC-808 has more preset functions than any of the other pressure cookers covered in this article. It would make an excellent choice for both function and price.
Another reason you might choose the Elite Platinum is if you want a more visually striking piece in your kitchen. With a wide variety of colors anyone could find a pot that appeals to their personal tastes. However, you must be ready to give up the option of the stainless-steel pot.
The main reason to choose an Instant Pot over the Elite Platinum is the microprocessor and dual pressure sensors. There’s also the yogurt making option with the IP-DUO and IP-Smart. If you are willing to spend a little more, then Instant Pot would be the way to go. Primarily because of the added technology to make cooking a perfect meal simple.