This Instant Pot Mexican Chicken is an explosion of bright flavor. Every bite will make you feel like you are in Mexico!
The chicken is so juicy, just the right amount of spicy, and it’s super easy to make thanks to your pressure cooker! I like to serve it with lime wedges, as lime wedges are often passed alongside spicy dishes in Mexico. The acidity of a fresh squeezed lime is the perfect complement to this spicy dish!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes—this recipe calls for chicken breast but you could easily substitute chicken thighs instead.
Can I Use Regular Diced Tomatoes?
Fire-roasted diced tomatoes add a ton of charred smoky flavor to this dish. You can use regular tomatoes, but the dish will be more mild-flavored. You could try adding a small dash of liquid smoke to regular canned diced tomatoes for a similar result.
How Can I Make it Less Spicy?
The spice in this recipe comes from the relatively large amount of chili powder and it will vary depending on the spice level of the chili powder you’re using. If you want it to be a little less spicy, simply add less chili powder or use a milder chili powder.
On the other hand, if you want to increase the spiciness of the dish, feel free to use more chili powder or add a splash of hot sauce to the mix!
What Should I Serve on the Side?
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast in cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes in their juices
- chopped fresh cilantro optionel
- Turn the Instant Pot to on sauté and add the oil. Add chicken and salt and cook and stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes and... stir.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then do quick pressure release.
- Remove the lid and stir.
- Serve hot with rice and any desired toppings.