There’s nothing more comforting than a hearty dish of lamb shanks for winter nights… These lamb shanks are cooked in a generous amount of broth and red wine alongside the spices.
- 3 lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green chili pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- to taste salt
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 medium onion chopped roughly
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- In large bowl, add the lamb, 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic, chili pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks and mix to coat well.
- Refrigerate to marinate from about 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Remove the lamb from bowl, reserving marinade.
- Place the remaining oil in the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”. Then add the shanks and sear for about 2 minutes per side or until browned completely.
- Add the reserved marinade and cook for about 1 minute per side.
- Add the carrots and onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of pat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and stir in the broth.
- Secure the lid and turn to “Seal” position.
- Cook on “Manual” with “High Pressure” for about 30 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and carefully do a natural release for about 10 minutes and then, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and with tongs, transfer the lamb shanks onto a platter.
- Through a fine mesh strainer, strain the broth mixture, discarding solids.
- In a bowl, dissolve cornstarch into water.
- Select “Sauté” and return the strained liquid into the pot.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stirring continuously and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until desired thickness of gravy.
- Pour gravy over lamb shanks and serve.
This recipe is part of our 1001 Instant Pot recipes project, a huge collection of free, easy and delicious recipes.