An aromatic and signature recipe of Kashmiri origin…This traditional lamb dish is now popular worldwide.
- 1 1/4 lb boneless leg of lamb cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- to taste salt
- 2 large tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- For marinade: in a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate, covered for up to 24 hours.
- Place the oil in the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”. Then add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and bay leaves and cook for about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb with marinade and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and water.
- Secure the lid and turn to “Seal” position.
- Cook on “Manual” with “High Pressure” for about 10 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and allow a natural release for about 10 minutes and then, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and select “Sauté”.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until desired thickness of sauce.
- Serve hot with the topping of cilantro.
This recipe is part of our 1001 Instant Pot recipes project, a huge collection of free, easy and delicious recipes.