A simple and nutritious vegetarian curry made with split chickpeas and bottle gourd alongside the spices.
The tempering of spices adds an aromatic and delicious touch in this curry.
More vegan options
- 1 1/2 cups split chickpeas rinsed
- 1 medium bottle ground peeled, cored and cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 2 black cardamom
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- to taste salt
- 3-4 cups water plus 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 green chili minced
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- In the pot of Instant pot,add the split chickpeas, bottle gourd, tomato, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, turmeric, salt and 3-4 cups of the water and stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and turn to “Seal” position.
- Cook on “Manual” with “High Pressure” for about 20 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and allow a natural release.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy-bottomed frying pan, melt the gheeover medium heat and sauté the cumin for about 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoon water and stir to combine.
- Add the green chili and garam masala and cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and select “Sauté”.
- Stir in the onion mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and serve hot with the garnishing of cilantro.
This recipe is part of our 1001 Instant Pot recipes project, a huge collection of free, easy and delicious recipes.