A traditional Indian cuisine recipe of Instant Pot Chana Dal. Vegetarian and vegan recipe you can make easily in your pressure cooker.
Filled with amazing spices gives the best aroma. Tempering technique used is a great technique to add more taste which everyone loves.
Can I freeze chana dal?
You can definitely freeze this Instant Pot chana dal recipe. The leftover can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 3 days or in a freezer for up to 6 months, so that you can enjoy it whenever the dal craving strikes. In order to avoid spoilage of dal, it should be frozen properly.
Improper freezing methods spoil the taste and texture of dal. It is noteworthy to cool the dish completely at room temperature before transferring it to the refrigerator or freezer, otherwise it could instigate rancidity. It is best to store the cooked chana dal in portions according to your requirement, because once defrosted, it cannot be frozen again. It is advisable to store dal either in ziplock bags or in a silicone tray.
Do not fill the entire ziplock bag with chana dal and flatten the ziplock bag to save space. Do not forget to squeeze the extra air out of the ziplock bags in order to avoid freezer burns. Frozen Indian food has the specialty of regaining the taste and texture by applying “Tadka”. Just fry some onions, cumin seeds and spices in oil and pour it over the heated dal.
Another vegan option is this Instant Pot chickpea curry recipe.
- 3/4 cup chanadal
- 1 tomato
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ¼ + 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 garlic chopped
- 1 pinch hing
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Add all ingredients except the tempering ones in the instant pot.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the instant pot to “Manual” at high pressure for 12 minutes, release the pressure naturally through steam vent.
- Open the lid of the instant pot, give it a stir and press cancel.
- Now select sauté.
- For tempering heat a pan on the stove and add oil in it.
- Add tempering ingredients and cook till garlic turns golden brown.
- Remove pan from stove and add prepared tempering into the instant pot.
- Give a stir, serve and enjoy.