It is a nutritious dish rich in sodium and has pleasant taste. It originates from India but is cooked worldwide.
This Instant Pot Lentils recipe is easy to make and you can get a healthy side dish in only 35 minutes.
- 2 cups black gram lentils or sabuturad dal
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 3 inch ginger
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 4 whole red chilies
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 large tomatoes
- cilantro to garnish
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Soak and rinse lentils and beans in water overnight.
- Then, soak 4 red chilies for 30 minutes in warm water.
- In a blender, add tomatoes, ginger, red whole chilies and garlic. Blend well.
- Meanwhile, add butter, carom seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida in the inner pot of Instant pot. Select “Sauté”.
- After about 45 seconds, add chopped onions.
- Sauté for about 4 minutes and add tomato paste and spices.
- Now, drain the water from soaked lentils and beans and add them in the Instant pot.
- Add water and press the “Cancel” button.
- Close the lid of Instant pot and press the “Manual” button.
- Cook for about 30 minutes on HIGH pressure and release the pressure naturally through the steam vent.
- Open the lid and mix well.
- Dish out and garnish with butter and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is part of our 1001 Instant Pot recipes project, a huge collection of free, easy and delicious recipes.